This scholarship is awarded annually to a qualified 12th grade student to attend the university or college of their choice. Payment will be made directly to the educational institution over a period of four academic years, not to exceed $5,000 per year.
The requirements for eligibility are as follows:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must have completed junior year of high school at time of application
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must not be related to a current D.A.R.E. officer/administrator
- Must apply only to an accredited institution (4 years) in the U.S.
- Must lead a lifestyle consistent with the goals and objectives of D.A.R.E.
- Must be a member of the D.A.R.E. America Youth Advocacy Board
Applicants must submit a portfolio that includes the following:
- D.A.R.E. Scholarship Application Form
- Scholarship Tracking Form
- An essay, 500-word maximum, addressing the topic “D.A.R.E.: How it has impacted my life; how I will use these skills to contribute to society.”
- Written summary documenting academic achievements and extracurricular activities that reflect the spirit and goals of D.A.R.E.
- Written summary documenting current role with the Youth Advocacy Board and projects completed
- Official sealed transcript of grades and scholastic scores
- A letter of recommendation from a school administrator/educator
- A letter of recommendation for outstanding achievement in community service from a source other than school administrators/educators or law enforcement officials
- Applicant must submit their scholarship application portfolio to their D.A.R.E. officer by April 07, 2023. The application should be submitted through the student’s last D.A.R.E. officer or an active D.A.R.E. officer of the department in their community.
- D.A.R.E. officer must complete Section A of the Scholarship Tracking Form.
- D.A.R.E. officer must forward the scholarship application, accompanied by a completed Scholarship Tracking Form, to their respective D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator by April 14, 2023.
- D.A.R.E. State President or Coordinator must review and approve application, and submit no later than April 21, 2023 to:
Attn: Jacqueline Ho
13952 Malena Drive
Tustin, CA 92780
Application must be delivered/received no later than April 25, 2023 by Jacqueline Ho
The D.A.R.E. America Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make a final selection by May 12, 2023. The award recipient will be notified by a D.A.R.E. America representative. The selected student will be required to sign a letter of award and agreement.
Questions regarding the scholarship application should be directed to Jacqueline Ho at (800) 223-3273 ext. 408 or [email protected]
2023 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIMELINE
April 07 – Student submits scholarship application to your D.A.R.E. Officer
April 14 – D.A.R.E. Officer forwards application with tracking form to State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator
April 21 – State D.A.R.E. President / Coordinator forwards application and tracking form to D.A.R.E. America
April 25 – Application Delivered/Received by Jacqueline Ho
May 12 – Scholarship Committee reviews and makes selection
July TBD – Formal presentation of Scholarship Award
Each year, D.A.R.E. America International awards one member of its Youth Advocacy Board a $20,000 college scholarship. Carley Keller from North Carolina was named the recipient of the 2021 D.A.R.E. America Louis ‘Skip’ Miller National Scholarship Award…
Each year, D.A.R.E. America awards one member of its Youth Advocacy Board a $20,000 college scholarship. New Jersey’s Julia Manning was named the recipient of the 2019 D.A.R.E. America Louis ‘Skip’ Miller National Scholarship Award…